Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2004 Mercury Mountaineer: the anti-theft alarm goes..cant start

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer that the anti-theft alarm goes off for no reason and we sometimes can't get it to stop and also can't start the vehicle. I have had the vehicle 2yrs and has done this ever since we have had it. Now it is happening more frequently and is very embarrassing. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop this from happening or a way to stop it. it used to stop if you started the vehicle but that doesn't work anymore. Thanks
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

This could mean you need a new key, tranciever, or antitheft module. The easiest place to start is replacing the tranciever since this does not take long or need a computer to reprogram. If that doesnt work you can try to get a new key made and finally if those dont help you would need to bring vehicle to dealership so they can install a new antitheft module and program it. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where can I buy the tranciever? where is it located? is this something that I can do myself?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this is something you would want to bring vehicle to dealership for. It is located underneath the steering column by the ignition switch. You should be able to get this problem fixed within $300. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.