Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1998 Lincoln town car: The Directional signals and flashers..blown

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Lincoln Towncar. The Directional signals and flashers quit working last night. The owners manual doesnt point out a specific fuse for these however I checked a bunch of them and none were blown. Any suggestions ?
Dutch
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The fuses would be the #10, 15 and 21 in the instrument panel fuse box. You will want to check for power at both sides of them with the key on.

graphic

graphic

The Turn Signal Flasher output is provided by the Lighting Control Module, which is located behind the LH side of the instrument panel. There are no separate relays for Turn Signal Flasher output aside from the LCM.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not at home now where the car is located but I will try your reccomendation in a few hours. I'll also accept now providing I can ask addditional questions on this issue if the reccomendations dont work ? OK ?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Oh yes, you can come back at anytime. Let me know what you find, thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customerhere
Couple questions before I leave work (internet capability)and go home to check out your suggestions.
Its not clear from the illustration whether the LCM is located in the engine compartment or inside the vechicle on the drivers side ?
Is the LCM a modularized device, like a canister or box of some sort. I.e replaceable by pulling it out ?
I assume if the fuses check OK that the problem is with the LCM and I'll have to replace it ?
Thanks Dutch
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

It is under the dash. You don't want to replace it without checking the switch first. If it is the turn signals and the hazards, then I would think it is going to be a fuse. Let me see if I have any tests for it that you can do while your there.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok - going in now :)
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Good luck, (hoping it's a fuse) just check for power on both sides of them, then you know if they are good or bad, thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuses all checked OK. Completly dismantled the dash board under carriage so I could find the LCM - found what I thought was it and took it to the parts store. Wasnt it but a realy of some sorts. Can you provide a picture and approc location of the LCM. Going back in today
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Here are the steps for replacing it and some pics.

graphic

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Prior to removal of module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.

graphic

1. Remove the LH instrument panel lower insulator.

1Remove the pin-type retainers.
2Disconnect the courtesy lamp.
3Remove the LH instrument panel insulator.

graphic

1. Position the LCM aside.

1Remove the locking tab.
2Release the locking tab.
3Position the LCM aside.

graphic

Disconnect the electrical connectors.
2Remove the LCM.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. CAUTION: Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester into the new module. NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns it adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be drive 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow this doesnt jive at all with the "flasher" auto zone show as the replacement, which is basicall your typical flasher
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

I see that Autozone does list one for that vehicle. However, the data base is telling me,

I don't remember seeing any flasher on them in that year, (or newer) but it would be around the steering column if there were one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
searched high and low the only thing I see over there is the module you showed in email - I'm bettin tha baby is REAL expensive any Idea ?
I cant believe I have to replace that whole monster just for sig/hazzard. Thanks for staying with me
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
No problem. In the old days we would check them with a test light, however, these newer ones require a scan tool for just about anything electrical. If anything, you might want to see if there are any used ones out there before a new one, being that you can't return them if that is not the problem.