Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

1997 Mercury Mountaineer: I find the door lock code

Customer Question

How can I find the door lock code to my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer? We tried hiring a lock smith with a computer but couldn't read correct code.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

Here are the 3 options ford states to use

graphic

Since option one and two have been ruled out then you need to look on the RAP module for a sticker showing the 5 digit code.

Here is the RAP module view and its location.

graphic

Click here for a PDF file on how to remove the quarter trim panel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the LH quarter panel? Can I give you my VIN and stuff and can you look it up? I need more INFO so that I can see where the module is that I have to remove. So far, a little confusing. Do I need to take my drivers side door apart?

When you open the liftgate and notice the trim panels on the left and right, those are the quarter trim panels. You dont have to remove the module. You just have to gain access to it to view the sticker on it. The module is behind the drivers side quarter trim above the wheel.

graphic

Ford keeps no database of a keyless entry codes. A dealer can attain the code from the vin nor can a ford tech like myself. You can only get the code from the vehicle in the 3 methods previously mentioned.

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Mercury
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The module is behind the drivers side quarter trim above the wheel.

Above the rear wheel?

The spare tire? The rear wheel of the car or steering wheel? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic and these descriptions don't seem obvious to me. Will try to run out and see if I can see the sticker, if I do, I would consider adding to your fee. If not, I am going to feel that I didn't get anything of significant value for my money. Sorry for making you have to work so hard, would I have gotten more INFO for more money? I'm reading over and over to see if it's just me. How much time can I get to accept? How long will it take normally to unscrew this panel? I'll go now and see what I can do. TNX Dave

Its gonna take about 30 minutes for a tech to get this panel off and a non tech about 2 hours plus some needed tools. Its above the drivers side rear tire. behind the plastic quarter trim panel. Everyone, any amount, gets my best answer

graphic