clgast, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  work in autos for five + years

1999 mercury villager: I have driven van..engine starts..wont start

1999 mercury villager, when I have driven van a while, it starts cutting out really bad, engine starts jerking, then it bogs down and won't pull itself, won't run. I shut it off and it won't start until it sets for one hour plus or longer. Then runs fine until engine warms up. We have replaced fuel filter and fuel pump, that has not fixed it.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  clgast replied 7 years ago.
Is the Check engine light on? If so do you know the codes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the check engine light does not come on and also the vehical does not overheat or show hot engine.
Expert:  clgast replied 7 years ago.

well I would assume it is one of two things either a clogged exhaust or a bad ignition control module.

However there is another coolant temp sensor that only sends its information to the computer and it helps control fuel control. If this sensor is bad it could cause this problem but not likely usually it will not let the engine start at all.

First thing i would do is check for spark once the engine will not start. Let me know how that goes and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the mechanic working on it now, says he doesn't know what is wrong. He first replaced fuel pump, that wasn't the problem. His next step is to replace the distributor. He is looking for used one to save money. Do you think it could be the distributor?
Expert:  clgast replied 7 years ago.
It's not the distributor it would fail all the time not part of the time. Im doing some diagnostic research give me a minute and i should have some steps to take to diagnose it.
Expert:  clgast replied 7 years ago.
Vehicle Application:
1999 Mercury Villager 3.3L
Customer Concern:The engine seems to run OK cold but runs worse and worse as it warms up. Misses on several cylinders. Will stall. Has a code P0340 in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Tests/Procedures:1. At the distributor 6-terminal connector, verify battery voltage on the Black/White wire and good ground on the Black/Red wire. If OK, check the outputs of the 2 Camshaft Position (CMP) sensors in the distributor. The CMP sensor output wires are the Orange wire and the White wire. The PCM sends out 5 volts on both of these wires and the optical pickups inside the distributor toggle the 5 volts to ground to create 5 volt square wave signals. Use a lab scope to monitor both signals from the CMP sensors when running fine, and compare to when it is acting up.

2. If the signals go erratic and the power and ground are OK, the problem is in the distributor. Clean the slotted disk for the optical sensors if dirty. If the symptoms persist, replace the distributor.
Potential Causes:Distributor Optical Sensors
Tech Tips:Check with Ford and with Nissan (the Quest is the same vehicle), but the distributor is likely only serviced as an assembly.
Expert:  clgast replied 7 years ago.
im sorry about that last post the distributor coudl be bad just have your mechanic follow these steps and hoppfully you don't just throw a distributor at it and that doesn't fix it.