Tim
Tim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

1993 Mercury Villager: Dashboard lights..chime..headlights..door open

Dashboard lights in 1993 Mercury Villager stopped working. At same time warning chime for headlights with door open stopped working. First noticed problems right after a new radio was installed. Any suggestions? Could these problems be related to radio installation? If this is a burned out fuse which one is it? The owner's manual is not clear. Thanks
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
Do you have electronic dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by "electronic dash." Displays -speed, etc. - are not digital.
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

ok than you have the the needle style.

First you need to check the fuses that say

taillights - 15 amp

electron batt - 10 amp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I checked. Those two fuses are not the problem. Other possibilities?

Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
ok next we need to check the head light switch. Check the pink wire for power with the switch turned to lights.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure what "check the pink wire for power" means. How do I do this?
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
You need to pull the switch out and leave it connected to the wires. Than take a test light or volt meter and probe the pink wire at the connector and see if the light lights or if you have 12 volts on a meter. If you don not than the switch is bad. That would cause both issues.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, you're beyond my capabilities. I'll probably have to take it somewhere. Please let me know if these problems could have been caused by the recent installation of a new radio and, if so, how. Thanks.
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
if they shorted out the illumination wire for the radio than it is possible. But until you find out what is wrong it is hard to say if they did it but since it happened right after they installed the radio they may have shorted out the switch.