Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

2000 mercury cougar: my sunroof will not close

Customer Question

I have a 2000 mercury cougar and my sunroof will not close. I checked the fuse and its fine. How do I get it to close?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer

Thanks for stopping in here at Just Answer to ask a question.

• Does it move at all or respond at all to the switch?
  • Does it seem to be stuck or just not moveing the full distance it should?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It does not move at all. I can hear the clicking sound of the switch only. I don't think it is stuck, i just think that nothing is powering it to close.

Also, I have experienced some other electrical issues in which my automatic door locks no longer work - i.e. with key fab or without. The moonroof was okay, but now it has stopped working. Problem is it stopped working while it is open.

Lets first off get the overhead panel off and do some electrical testing at the switch to see if the relay is getting commanded and to see if the power is making it to the motor for operation. This will help indetermining if its electrical or a concern with the motor or the guides which the roof runs in.

graphicgraphic

graphicgraphic

I hope you found my answer helpful, in the case you did please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button shown on your screen. This is necessary so I get paid and receive credit for my work. Your question will not close after an accept, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional comments to add, then please do so, Take note in many cases I am not informed or aware of your skills or knowledge or what has been done in the past unless you tell me. I am providing my best answer based on what you have written, and sometimes there is a misunderstanding which a reply can resolve. Be courteous in understanding I did not build the vehicle or have any relations in its design or any control over past repairs, so please don't hold me accountable for the failure you have experienced.

If you reply and I have not gotten back with you then please understand I may be helping others or off to work or bed, I will get back with you as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Moose-

Thank you for your answer. While I was waiting for you to get back to me, I tried the moonroof again and it worked. I proceeded to check it a few more times and it kept working. I don't know what is causing this sproadic functioning, but it is clear that I won't be opening it anytime before it is supposed to rain as I lack some control as to whether or when it will close. Do you have any other thoughts on this? Have you encountered something like this before?

Yes we run into intermitent issues often, I feel what you have just described may just be dirty electrical contacts in the switch.

I have not heard back from you, so I assume you are needing more assistance on this matter, if so please do reply so I can finish this question. My goal is to have nothing but satisfied customers.

Thanks Hope to hear from you soon, Chris