scottz136
scottz136, Mercury Technician
Experience:  senior master lincoln mercury tech.
13762030

My 2002 grand marquis blower does not work - heat or a/c.

Customer Question

my 2002 grand marquis blower does not work - heat or a/c.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.
The problem is most likely the motor has failed. The blower motor is located under the hood on the right side.Turn on you heater fan on high speed and tap on the motor.It will probably start up.This will confirm that the motor is worn and requires replacement.

If it doesn't start running,check for power and ground at the motor 2 wire connector. If you have power and ground ,you will need to replace the motor. If you don't ,get back to me and I can guide you on further tests.
Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.

Were you able to fix your blower concern? Please lt me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Please keep in mind that I do not get paid for helping you unless you click the accept tab .Thank you for your support.Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Scott,

I guess my first problem is I am not sure I know where the blower motor is. If I have the hood open, it is near the firewall on the passeneger side..right. I have tapped it with the fan on high... nothing happened.

If the unit has power, and the blower motor is bad, is it something that can be done by a do-it-yourselfer?

If not, what shoudl this cost me at my dealer....hours and parts?

I will accept to pay you if I can get these questions answered. Anything else to help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.

Here is a picture of the outside of the blower motor.It is on the far right side against tthe firewall.

graphic

To replace the motor,you will need to drop down the fender well to have enough room to remove motor.There is 4 bolts holding the motor in.

graphic

Yes,if the motor has power but does not run,it needs replacing.

To have this replaced at the dealer will run around $175 ,depending on your local labor rates.Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you for accepting my help.

scottz136, Mercury Technician
Experience: senior master lincoln mercury tech.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I replaced the blower motor and still no fan power.

How do I check for power and ground?

Is it the reistor? Where is it located?

What next?

Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.
Do you have automatic temperature control with a digital readout?

Have you checked for power and ground at the blower motor connector?

If your motor was shorted out,it may have a blown fuse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have auto temp control.

No, I did not check for power and ground. I feel stupid, but I am more mechanical than electrical....how would I do that?

Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.
No problem, the best way to test this is with a test light or a circuit tester.You can get a test light at most auto parts stores.

With auto temp control there is a blower speed controller that provides a ground signal to the blower motor and power from fuse # XXXXX in the under dash fuse box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Fuse is OK. I'll check the power to the b/m tonight or tomorrow.

If no ground signal from the blower speed controller, will I have to replace that?

Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.
Yes you will need to replace the blower speed controller if you have no ground.It is located behind the engine on the passenger side in the heater box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked and have no power to the blower motor fan.

Please send me a diagram of where the blower speed controller is if possible and if it is job a DIYer can do without too much heartache.

How much for this part?

How much if the dealer replaces?

With this info, I will accept and leave you positive feedback.

Thank you.

Expert:  scottz136 replied 5 years ago.
Here is a description for replacing the Blower speed controller.

If you don't have power at the brown/orange wire you will need to recheck fuse F2.18 in the underdash fuse box.Use your test light to check power through the fuse .You may have a wire issue .

2002 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis Workshop Manual

Blower Motor Speed Control

Removal and Installation

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  1. Remove the nuts and position the vapor management valve (VMV) aside.
graphic
  1. Release the clamps and disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
graphic
  1. Release the clamp and remove the heater hose.
graphic
  1. Remove the blower motor speed control.
    1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    1. Remove the screws.
graphic
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Fill the engine cooling system.