Ray, Mercury Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master/Diesel & Gas ASE L1 & L2 22yrs exp.

2003 mercury mountaineer: a lot, doors lock, door..oil change

2003 mercury mountaineer security system acting weird chimes a lot, doors lock, door ajar light, etc ever since receiving an oil change. Is there a way to reset? What would cause this to happen?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.

If you mean the door ajar light comes on with the doors closed try this:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, it is more than just the door ajar light. The security system is going haywire with the alarm chiming, doors locking on their own, etc. I will try your suggestion but it may be more than that as it seems to be something wrong with the security system. We tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but that did not reset anything
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.

The security system and door locks all tie into the door ajar switches.

Let me know if it still does it

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My girlfriend took it to the dealer today so we will see what they say. I passed on your information to her. I will press the accept button after she hears if it is fixed even if it turns out to be something else. I just don't want to close this case yet in case it stumps the dealer. I truly appreciate your help. One last thing, would the door ajar switch cause the alarm to go off intermittently even with the key in the ignition or when away from the vehicle? That is the latest info I have from her. Thanks again Ray!
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.

Anti-Theft- Perimeter Alarm System

The perimeter anti-theft system provides for vehicle security through an audible and visual notification if the vehicle's exterior is invaded without the system being shut off. The system self-arms when the doors, liftgate and hood are closed and the key is OFF. Any open door, hood or liftgate will prevent the system from arming. The hood ajar switch, door ajar switches and liftgate ajar switch cause these circuits to register as normally closed circuits. The vehicle security module monitors the status of the hood ajar, door ajar and liftgate ajar switches. If these circuits indicate an open entry point, the switch opens the circuit to the vehicle security module, which energizes the horn and autolamp relays (causing the horn to sound and the lights to flash). The vehicle security module turns off the anti-theft system when it receives a command through the keyless entry keypad, remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter, or anti-theft alarm inhibit switch.