Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE/Mazda Master Technician-L1 cert
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.

My driver side car door wont close..wouldnt..awhile

Customer Question

My driver side car door won't close! It has been going on for a while now, it used to be that it sometimes wouldnt close unless I slammed it, but after awhile it wouldnt close at all but I found that when I pushed the bottom hinge up until it clicked once, solved the problem, for a while. Then the door would act up again. Yet now I can't even get the door to shut and it seems the bottom hinge is snagged what should I do?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.

The first thing you need to do is replace the worn hinge. You have likely bent or broken the latch mechanism from continual slamming of the door to close it. Try using a screwdriver to push in on the latch and see if it will click in place. The pull the door handle and see if it will release. You could have bent or moved the part attached to the car body. Everytime the door hits the latch it likely disturbed its original location. You may need to adjust the striker back to its original position. Check for signs that the striker moved by looking for missing paint.