Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I stored my 1995 SL500 for 5 months. It starts and will run

Customer Question

I stored my 1995 SL500 for 5 months. It starts and will run for 10 minutes or so, then cuts out and won't restart until it sits (cools?) for awhile. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

Hi John, my name is***** first thing to do is to check for spark from the ignition coils when the car won't start. If you have no spark I suspect a bad ignition control module or a bad crankshaft position sensor.

Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

If you find that you have good spark from the coils the next step would be to see if it will try to fire when you spray ether into the air intake. If it will fire and run while you are spraying the ether I suspect a fault with the fuel pump.

Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

If it won't fire on the ether I would inspect the distributor caps and rotors for moisture.

Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

Let me know if you have any questions.