Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

This question is for Marty (Eurotec) Marty, I have attached

This question is for Marty (Eurotec)Marty,I have attached the code scan for the 2006 E500. Do you see anything that needs to be taken care of and/or anything that might be the cause of the random flashing cruise leds on the instrument cluster?thank you

Hi Darrell, there are no current fault codes, only stored events. You've got some ABS events and some cluster communication faults that are probably affecting the cruise lights but there is nothing there to go on. I suspect that the ABS events are causing the problem. When an ABS event occurs such as ABS engagement or a speed sensor glitch it would probably flash the lights to alert the driver. It's very common to see cluster communication faults even when there is nothing wrong. You should erase all fault codes then rescan the car the moment the cluster acts up again. If your one touch open and close roof does not function you will need to normalize the roof.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty, can you recommend a scanner that I can use that will clear the faults and read them again as shown in the test reports I sent you. I had those done at a workshop and it was 67.00. I don't want to go back there and pay 67.00 for them to scan it each time.

I use some pretty expensive scan tools. I don't know what the least expensive tool is out there that can erase codes in all modules. I know that Autel makes some scan tools that can do it I'm just not sure of which one you would need. I would contact Autel and see if they can suggest something.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty,I bought the Autel MaxiDas DS708 and cleared all the codes. I then started the car and the cruise LEDS flashed a few times, I re-scanned the car and no faults showed up. I will take the car for a longer drive and see what happens. I noticed that this scanner will do all kinds of things and wanted to know if there was anything that I could do with the scanner that would mess up the car. I noticed under the instrument cluster module, I had the option to reset the cluster. Is this safe to do?
Also, are there software upgrades that are done on these cars, if so how would I know if it current. Also, what about recalls and TSB on the car.VIN# *****THANK YOU

Hi Darrell, sorry for the wait I have been buried at work. I would not perform a cluster reset as I think you will then need to re-input the variant coding. You can cause all sorts of problems with the scan tool if you get into changing coding and such. I would be careful. In most cases the scan tool will warn you before you go too far. Software upgrades are done through the Mercedes dealer. You cannot really check if what you have is current. Usually software is updated if you are having a problem with a particular module. I ran an VMI inquiry and there are no open campaigns and recalls.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been getting g the low battery convenience features are not available. Is this a sign of a dieing battery. The battery is a Mercedes brand battery. The car is 11 years old and only has 45000 miles on it. Could the battery be the original? It has no date on it that I can see.

Definitely a sign of a bad battery. Especially if you get the warning when you first start the car and it goes away after you drive. You should get the battery charged and tested. Once in awhile I see an original battery last that long.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty, what is a good battery choice for this type of vehicle. Should I go with glass Matt. What brand. Also what about the auxiliary battery

I use the Interstate AGM battery because it has a little better warranty than the Mercedes battery. They sometimes have the auxiliary battery as well. If they do not have the aux battery I get them from the Mercedes dealer. Pricewise they are about the same as Mercedes. The Mercedes OEM battery retails for $247. The aux battery is $167. Compare that to what Interstate charges.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty,Should I replace both batteries.

It wouldn't be a bad idea. The aux battery is primarily for the electronic braking system. It would be nice to start with two fresh batteries.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty, Will the car take the AGM battery without any issues? Will the cars computer work OK. No issues with AGM?2006 E500 4 Matic.thank you

Yes, the recommended battery for your car is the AGM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty, I have cleared the codes, drove the car for three days and I still get the led flashing in the instrument cluster. I re-scanned the car and got one fault. DCM: Front Right Door Control Module 9211 (B1211) There is a discontinuity in the line to the mirror heater (M21/2r1) or the component is defective.Unrelated service things done:
I have replaced the primary battery and waiting for the Mercedes auxiliary battery to arrive.I have done the Transfer case fluid change & Front axle fluid. Tomorrow I am doing engine oil, transmission filter, fluid and electrical connector housing and rear differential fluid. Brake fluid is 4% water so its getting changed next week.Any other service recommendations on this Benz?thank you

I think you have an instrument cluster fault causing the LED's to flash. On the B1211 it's saying your heated mirror element is bad or there is a harness fault.

On your maintenance you could also do air, fuel, cabin filter, coolant, power steering fluid and spark plugs.