MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

My 2012 sprinter def fluid light is still on after refill of

Customer Question

my 2012 sprinter def fluid light is still on after refill of def fluid
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the wind looking sign (def fluid light)
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i filled the def fluid to the top and now i am down to 7 starts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my friend checked with his computer and coincidentally my check engine light came on saying it was the particulate filter code.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i originally bought van at 450k miles. it did not start because it was out of starts. i did research online and found out vehicle needed def fluid, filled the tank and the car started like brand new. constantly runs great, i ran through approximately 8k miles and the fill up light came on again, filled it to the top, and restarted car and now it was telling me i had 16 starts left.... i am down to 7 starts and running out of ideas. the check engine light coincidentally turned on too ( with a particulate filter code) i realize they are both related but they are two different lights on the dash. can the def light be on because of my particulate filter or is that a completely separate problem and only run through the check engine light? or after i clean particulate filter it will turn off my def light?
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is Dan. I will be glad to try to help. What are the fault codes you have?