Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2003 Mercedes E320 sedan (standard coil

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mercedes E320 sedan (standard coil suspension). I need to replace the rear shocks and coil springs.The first instruction at the below site mentions using an external torx size E60....is that correct? I can't find any sockets that size!http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W211/42-SUSPEN-Rear_Coil_Spring_Replacement/42-SUSPEN-Rear_Coil_Spring_Replacement.htmThanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks!

Hey how are you

you welcome

please click on the link to view diagram , E60 Torx & T55 Torx needed that i correct

2003 Mercedes Benz E 320 Sedan (211.065) V6-3.2L (112.949)

Save Article

AR32.20-P-0230P Remove/Install Rear Spring - except CODE (P98) Black Series [model 209] - except CODE (489) Airmatic [models 211.0, 219]

Zoom and Print Options

Shown On Model 203

DANGER:
- Lethal injuries are possible if vehicle slips off of lifting platform
- Align vehicle between the columns of the hydraulic hoist and position the four support plates below the hoist support points specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

CAUTION: See notes on self-locking nuts and bolts

1 Remove cover (72c) of spring link (72).
2 Insert clamping plates (01b, 01c) in rear spring (73).
3 Insert spring compressor (01a) in clamping plates (01b, 01c).

DANGER:
- Risk of injury from jamming or bruises when working on springs or spring bosses which are tensioned
- Use only approved tensioning devices; additionally shield off hazardous area if necessary.
- Inspect special tools for damage and proper operation (visual inspection)
- Wear protective gloves.

4 Tension rear spring (73)

NOTE: Installation:
- Model 203: On undamped springs the clamping plates should be fitted so as to leave approx. two coils free at the ends of the spring.
- Model 211: Observe chalk markings.

NOTE: Springs; general background information.

5.1Unscrew nut (72b) and detach spring link (72) from rear axle carrier.

NOTE: Use crowbar to press spring link from its mount.

5.2Unscrew shock absorber (6j) from spring link (72).

NOTE: Push together shock absorber and position at side of spring link.

6 Remove rear spring (73) with rubber bushing (74).

NOTE: After replacing the rear spring or the rubber mount. Check and correct headlamp adjustment

7 Install in the reverse order.

NOTE: Installation: Tighten nuts and bolts of chassis components only in curb condition.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Save Article

AR32.20-P-0200-06T Clamping rear spring - except CODE (489) Airmatic (semi-active air suspension) Danger! Risk of injury caused by pinching or crushing when working on springs or spring bodies that are under tension. Use only approved tensioning devices; shield off hazard area if necessary. Inspect special tools for damage and proper operation (visual inspection). Wear protective gloves.

Zoom and Print Options

Special Tools

Zoom and Print Options

Component Identification

1 Remove plastic cone in the upper rubber mount of the rear spring using puller.

The plastic only serves as an initial assembly aid and is not installed again.

2 Insert top clamping plate (01) and bottom clamping plate (02) on the rear spring (6i).

Clamp as many coils of the spring as possible.

3 Turn the notches (arrow) of the clamping plates (01, 02) towards the inside of the vehicle.
4 Insert tensioning device (03) in clamping plates (01, 02) and engage in the recesses (4) of the upper clamping plate (01).
5 Clamp rear spring (6). In the process secure rear spring (6i) to prevent it from twisting.

Do not use any impact wrench/driver, otherwise the tensioning device (03) will be damaged.

6 Mark position of clamping plates (01, 02) relative to the rear spring (6i) with oil-based chalk.
7 Relieve the load on rear spring (6i).
8 Transfer markings to the new rear spring (6i).

When installing a new rear spring (6i).

Save Article

Zoom and Print Options

Special Tools

Zoom and Print Options

Component Identification

7 Relieve the load on rear spring (6i).

When installing a new rear spring (6i).

if you replacing because of squeaking noises

check the stopper on strut mount

Topic Number LI32.20-P-047410 Version 2 Design Group 32.20 Steel springs/torsion bars, Niveaumat Date 09-08-2009 Validity Model 211, without AIRMATIC (SA code 489) Reason for change Reference to head bearing added. reason for block Complaint: The noise occurs when driving over uneven ground. The noise can also be reproduced by rocking the vehicle at the front axle - see attachment (0.1mpg).

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have a suggestion as to where I can find an E60 torx socket by any chance?

yes sure check this Torx set on Ebay , it has The E60 torx in it and only $47

click on link to view the listing on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Socket-Set-Combination-Premium-S2-Steel-Torx-Bits-And-E-60-Piece-Master-Set-/112227663593?hash=item1a214a3ee9:g:-NwAAOSwnHZYccfd

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, they have E 60 in the title but when I look at the description it appears to only go to E 24...14 x External Star (Torx) Sockets:
1/4" Drive: E4, E5, E6, E7, E8
3/8" Drive: E10, E11, E12, E14, E16
1/2" Drive: E18, E20, E22, E24

i m sorry if it does not ,said E60 on outside but you can search for one that has , ebay is just a source to show you where you can find one

if that one don't have what you need search for one that list it or you can buy individually torx

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, that's why I wondered if E60 is correct. I called a number of places to try to order that size and none could find one.I am reading what you sent me - with the diagrams. I do not see E60 specifically mentioned in the instructions or diagrams but I might just be missing it.... Could you please show me where they say an E60 socket is required?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far I have had no luck finding an E60 torx socket online.

E Torx sockets they sell at Sears.

For T Torx, the Craftsman 7 piece set has worked well too. T-15, T-20, T-25, T-30, T-40, T-45 , T-50 & T-60

if you have Sears Store where you are at they have the E torx sockets and the T torx sockets for sale or at least the one i have here in south Carolina does

hope that helps