Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I am expiriencing the Error Start display in a ml320. The

Customer Question

Hi I am expiriencing the Error Start display in a ml320. The car was park for a week and today on the 6th of January 2017. I decided to turn it on and the battery was dead. Lucky enough I got to jumpstart and waited till
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: It is cold today in houston around 40 f I think the cold drained the battery after trying with no results I disconected the battery to prevent any drain in case it was a leak
JA: What year is your ML320?
Customer: give me a sec
JA: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: is a 2002
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just tried to start it up again
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
correcting my last statement:I only tried to started after charging once and as mentioned disconnected the battery in case it was a voltage leak

hey how are you

1- you need a good 12 volt battery , cold weather on weak battery will kill it, and if the car system see less then 12 volts it will cause this error

2- charge or replace battery and do a reset

3- for battery drain testing read below

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

then if you have drain on battery that is how you find it

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was on 12 V, I,ll follo the steps to reconnect an reset as mentioned. I'll let you know if I present with and issues or questions.Give me a moment

ok sounds good , i will be here let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey I'll have to try tomorrow cause they way the battery is set up the negative charge is in a akward place. amd hast some rust so I have to clean it as well. The tool that remove the screw that holds the baterry I do not have and will have to purchase it

ok sounds good

I m online from 7 am till late daily

please read below how to get back in touch with me for any follow ups

Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat