Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1986 Mercedes 560 sec I have had so much work done

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Mercedes 560 sec I have had so much work done including the fuel distributor and transmission modulator. the car runs fine but will cut off without warning and can restart after allowing it to sit for about 5-10 minutes may not cut off again for weeks or months.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts fine and runs fine just the sudden cutting off
JA: What is the model of your '86 Mercedes?
Customer: 560 sec
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I have had the fuel distributor rebuilt. that did not work I just had a modulator put on the transmission. now there is a periodic clump of white smoke
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** are two fairly common problems that will cause sudden, intermittent stalling on this model. The first is a faulty fuel pump relay. If the relay has not been replaced I would suggest doing so as it is not a very expensive part to try. The next is a faulty ignition control module. If the ignition module is faulty it will also cause sudden, intermittent stalling and is more likely to not start for 5-10 minutes. Ideally a test for spark from the ignition coil should be performed when the car will not start. If there is no spark from the ignition coil I would suggest replacing the ignition control module.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty