Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

With key in the ignition car won't start, sometimes it takes

Customer Question

With key in the ignition car won't start, sometimes it takes 30 attempts and car will start. Is it a key battery or a car battery issue?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: not corroded and checking battery- it was low
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2009 c300
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When you sit in the car with car unlocked and door shut you can hear a buzzing noise coming from console not the engine compartment, but when i lock the car with key the noise stops
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: trying to isolate the problem because I can change the battery
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

this is a very very common problem with 3 very common failures, if you have 2 keys try both of them, if you do not then you will have to get a second key in order to know if its a key issue or not,

then if the you can hear the steering column make the zip noise and unlock and lock back up when the key is removed the issue is most likely the ignition switch, if you cannot hear the lock make the zip noise then the issue will be the steering column lock assembly. all of these really do need to be replaced at a dealer though as they will not sell the parts to customers and the parts need coded when installed. hope this helps, its not east to hear this news so please dont take it out on my rating, it doesnt make it any less true , if there were an easier way i would tell you but it is what it is, hope this at least helps you know what the problem can be, Lou P.

Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you. Lou P.