EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I'm locked out of my ML320, the battery is dead flat so the

Customer Question

Hi, I'm locked out of my ML320, the battery is dead flat so the remote wont unlock the doors and I dont have the key to fit the manual lock
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: No, the battery was failing when the car had been left a few days, I ordered a new battery but couldn't jump start the car when I should have taken it to be fitted, so I just went picked up the battery, now the battery on the car is so flat it doesn't power the locks
JA: What year is your ML320?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I didn't really have any choice, I couldn't get the car to the garage to have the battery changed so seemed the best option. So far my best thought is to try get the bonnet open to connect jump leads and get power to open the locks but cant seem to open the catch from outside - reason would say there are anti-break in measures?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no think thats it thanks Pearl
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. I understand your dilemma. I have been there before. Some remotes come apart and store the spare manual key inside. That is worth checking. first. If no luck there, What I have done before is to jack up the vehicle and access the starter. THen I used jumper wires on the big terminal of the starter, and the ground on the body or engine block, and you can backfeed some electricity, enough to get into the vehicle. Let me know your thoughts on this. THanks.