Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I just changed the air suspension compressor and

Customer Question

I just changed the air suspension compressor and occasionally the airmatic malfunction message still comes on. In addition sometimes the ride is really bouncy.
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: I just took it back from the workshop two hours ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2008 GL450
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I brought it to the mercedes dealer who diagnose it as failed compressor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I bought a compatible compressor and just had that installed today
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the codes re checked again since getting it back?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No error code in the ECU. There is a malfuction message with an up arrow.
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

O.k.,with the malfunction up arrow this is indicating the vehicle is not level or is having a difficult time leveling.This is usually caused by the system not being calibrated by the dealer with their sds machine after the compressor was replaced or may be that the compressor used is not working properly.This will cause the ride feel as well here.I have also seen one or more of the air shocks fail and cause this fault.

If you only had the codes re checked with a simple code reader or scan tool that does not communicate with the air suspension computer you will need to have the codes re checked using a compatible scan tool that can communicate with all computers.Most likely there is still a code set.The other fault is if there is no codes set in the air matic computer at all and you have this warning appearing here the fault can be the air matic ecu itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete