Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

The left rear air bag goes flat over night and pumps up fine

Customer Question

The left rear air bag goes flat over night and pumps up fine every morning but todsy it keeps saying car to low
JA: Have you checked the fluids recently?
Customer: Fluids for the air suspension?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2003 s430
JA: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Right now im truing to get home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the car actually sitting to low right now at any corner of the vehicle?

Is it cold where your vehicle is located?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
th driver rear side
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
its cold here
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

O.k.,what has happened is the leak eventually has become big enough to where it cannot lift back up.The rear air shock/bag needs replaced to resolve this here.The reason for the message is if you drive it this way you have a chance of damaging the suspension components,wheels or fenders so this will need repaired to correct this here.If you see that it will not rub on anything when driving at all then you may be able to drive it but usually this has to be repaired before driving it unfortunately.We have had to tow them to the shop to fix them when they sit to low like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can't call, can you please help?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the cold isn't a factor at all? it's a leak for certain ?
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

The cold causes it to leak further as the shock material or air bag material will shrink in the cold and any hole will expand when it shrinks causing a larger leak.It is more common for these to leak more when cold then hot.

But this does sound like the common fault of the shock/air bag leaking as I have had to replace several for this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete