Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

One of instrument panel lights behind the fuel reservoir

Customer Question

One of instrument panel lights behind the fuel reservoir gage is off (Mercedes E430 sedan, 1999)
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Instrument panel lights
JA: What year is your Sedan?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the car to a local car service. I paid for labor for replacement of that bulb with inspection of bulb socket and wiring. When I came home the bulb was still off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before the service, this bulb was going off and on. The service told me that this erratic behavior of the bulb would need some sort of diagnostic
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is Marty.

Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

The only thing this could possibly be is a faulty bulb or socket or a fault with the instrument cluster circuit board. I would be concerned that they did not replace the correct bulb. I normally replace all of the bulbs for the instrument illumination when doing this repair. If they are 100% sure that they replaced the correct bulb you will need to have the cluster sent out for repairs. I honestly suspect that they did not replace the correct bulb. I've attached a document showing the placement of the bulbs in the cluster.

Expert:  Marty replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have any questions. And please remember to rate my service :-)