Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1983 300cd yellow glow light suddenly stopped working Can't

Customer Question

1983 300cd yellow glow light suddenly stopped working Can't start car would many a tempts
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Yellow glow plug light on far left when key is tued to pre start. Light is out
JA: Are you fixing your 300CD yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe. Tried nothing. Fixin to look at relay.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I noticed I have leaks of fuel at all 5 cylinders at engine injector block site. Took it out of storage 1 month ago.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** the glow plug light is not turning on it usually indicates one or more faulty glow plugs or a faulty relay. The relay is mounted on the left inner fender. There is a fuse in the relay that should be checked. You should also test for voltage to the individual glow plugs when you turn the key on. If you are not getting voltage to the plugs and the fuse is good you will need to replace the relay.

For your fuel leak you will need to replace the rubber hoses and the rubber plug at the injectors.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What is the specific part for the rubber hoses?
Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

The part number for the pre-cut hoses is 617 078 00 81. The bulk part number is ***** 997 77 82. The rubber plug at the last injector is part number 000 987 11 45.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is a 5 cylinder. So, the last injector has a rubber plug of a different size? Also, how many hoses? 83 300 CD turbodiesel
Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

Right, the rubber plug is 000 987 11 45. You will need 4 of the pre-cut hoses or 4' of the bulk hose.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I see... thanks.
Expert:  Marty replied 10 days ago.

You're quite welcome. If you find that you are getting 12V to the glow plugs when you turn the key on you should just replace all of the plugs. The glow plugs are Bosch part number 0 250 201 039.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Please don't forget to rate my service.

Marty