Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Abs light was on for a few weeks. it comes on and off when

Customer Question

abs light was on for a few weeks. it comes on and off when driving. Car will not go above 40mph. I changed the brake lght switch yesterday. the light did not come after I changed it. Drove to work today and abs light came on just as I got to work. 1998 c230 compressor. frustrating!!
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: just abs light.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1998 c230 compressor.
JA: Are you fixing your C230 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. replaced the brake light switch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs done here if this has not been done at all yet is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.There will be at least one code set in the anti lock brake unit/esp or bas unit that will help diagnose this issue here.This can be a large number of different components causing this fault here needing replaced most likely.

I have seen commonly the steering angle sensor or wheel speed sensors cause this fault here needing replaced.If you can get the fault codes read out this will help here but I suspect one of these may be the component needing replaced due to their common failure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Will further driving in this state increase the problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Usually it will not do any further damage but keep in mind you wont have anti lock brakes while this light is on and your cruise control may not work as well until this is repaired.You will however still have normal power brakes to operate the vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete