sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2013 sprinter which ran out of def fluid,all

Customer Question

good afternoon,I have a 2013 sprinter which ran out of def fluid,all warnings were ignored,now it wont start,def fluid is topped off,stored and current faults for def fluid empty and i cant erase them,,,any ideas
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am,at first i was able to get into ecu, i found codes 16cf00,106700,and18bc00.now it wont even communicate withe engine ecu or add blue ecu.tried disconnecting for 15-20,still no mcommunication
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you using a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle?

Is it not communicating with the engine ecu only here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good afternoon,yes i can communicate with the vehicle,although presently the scanner wont communicate with the engine or def control units,all others it recognizes
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
when i first connected to vehicle it did communicate with all control units
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Have you tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to try and reset the electronics to see if this then allows communications?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

This is a difficult one for me to answer myself here.Others here may be able to assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If communication with the engine controller isn't possible then you could have an engine controller or wiring issue, the ECM could be down due to a lost power or ground, or there may be a scan tool related issue.

What is it you're using to try to communicate with it? You're able to communicate with the TCM, ABS and all other modules?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good afternoon,i figured it out,2013 had a software update,my scanner is only good to12.A generic scanner communicates with ecu,it just needs a newer version of xentury for proper scanning and erasing

I'm glad you got it repaired!