Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

The drive belt adjuster pulley collapsed. In replacing the

Customer Question

The drive belt adjuster pulley collapsed. In replacing the pulley and drive belt adjuster meant the removal of the aircleaner, inlet manifold,fuel injectors and super charger. After reassembling the engine runs finef for +/- 2 km then the boost fails to kick in causing an error code P0237. The booster pressure sensor in the inlet manifold but there has been no improement.
JA: What shape is the drive belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: The engine went about 3 years ago and the belt was replaced then but I put in a new one anyway again now just in case there was damage I couldn't see.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2004 MB C230 Coupe now at 230,000 km
JA: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what I said in the first section. Replaced pulley and drive belt, and then the sensor but still a problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been repairing this car since the 100,000 motor plan expired and am a qualified motor mechanic but I am stumped.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to check here is to make sure the air inlet from the engine air filter is o.k. with no leaks.If this is o.k. make sure the belt is routed properly.If this is all o.k. there is a chance that there is a leak with the intake/inlet manifold.If the gaskets are leaking this can cause this as well here.There is some testing I can post here if you like on this fault code for this model here just let me know.It will lead to the cause for this issue but would need followed fully to pinpoint the issue and may require tools like a vacuum gauge,scan tool and electrical test equipment.But usually when a code sets like this after a repair like this has been done this can indicate an issue with a vacuum leak or leaking boost pipe or something left disconnected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for this help. Will try this early next week and let you know. Regards Dave
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome Dave.In some cases a smoke machine is needed to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks needing repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete