MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

2001 Mercedes SL550 - right rear tail light not working.

Customer Question

2001 Mercedes SL550 - right rear tail light not working. replaced bulb with a new one and also swapped one from the left bulb carrier that was working. In doing so, noticed the left carrier for the bulb has 2 contacts for the bulb contacts ( wire running to each contact, one wire is black). The right side tail light bulb carrier with the non working bulb only has 1 contact at the bulb base - black wire contact is missing. Summary - it appears the left side carrier has 2 contacts to the tail light bulb and the opposite side (same bulb position) only has one contact??? This car was purchased used. Could the bulb carrier have been replaced at some time with the wrong part?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Neil the first question I have to ask is , did someone tell you a bulb was out or is there a warning on the dash ? This will clear up a lot. Thanks. Lou P.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Both a warning on the dash and the bulb was not working. Replaced the the bulb that wasn't working with a new bulb and also the good bulb from the left side tail light. No good results. The socket on the right side only has one contact for the bulb base, the socket on the left side has 2 contacts and the bulb works on the left. Btw - I responded to your email question on 11/26.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 3 days ago.

Neil there is no response on my screen so sorry. not sure what happened sir. ok so the fact there is a bulb warning is what i was looking for, just so we are on the same page one side will have extra wire since there is only 1 rear fog light, so to be on the same page turn on the switch and pull it out past both detents (should feel a small pop when pulling the switch out toward you.) then if the side with the extra wire lights up we know what we are dealing with, most times the plate that the bulb holder is twisted into, it gets warped or burned so there is little to no contact. do you see any small black marks? can you tell if the bulb ears are both touching the plates?