Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Front dome lights stay on. they will turn off if i move the

Customer Question

front dome lights stay on . they will turn off if i move the position of the switch. the front door lights seem to be working fine they tun off and on when the doors open and closed
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: don't have one
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1997 s320
JA: Are you fixing your S320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yeah i when to dismantlers and tried a different dome assembly and that one did not even turn on (only the map lights worked on that one
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With the donor lamp assembly check and see if the bulb is o.k. in it for the dome lamps.If the bulb is burned out it will need replaced or swapped out with the bulb from your existing light assembly then re checked to see if the donor part works properly from there.If this is or was already attempted and the issue remains let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I put all new bulbs in the other dome assembly and still don't come on.
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

But your dome assembly the bulbs were staying on all of the time am I correct?

And is this the front over head light console assembly you tried?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
front dome only stay on. And yes put I switched out the front dome if the one from the wrecking yard and that one did not even come on
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I checked all door switches and when I push in the switch buttens power stops going through the switches.
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Looking at the info on this here the only thing I see is either a fault with the donor part that had an issue internally keeping it from coming on and yours as well is shorted being stuck on and you may need another good donor part or an issue with wiring to the dome light.But if wiring was the issue here then the donor light would have acted the same way and in this case it did not.I suspect the donor light has an issue internally as well and you need another light assembly to resolve this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Looking on the wiring diagram I can't figure out what tells the dome to tune off once all the doors are closed if u can point me in that direction. I can check that
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Does your model have the light switches near the door latch/striker area?It will look like a press in button that the door presses in on with the doors closed.If it does these are the switches that can fail or even push in needing replaced and will cause this here.If it does not let me know.

Thanks Pete