Craig Manning
Craig Manning,
Experience:  High Level- Senior Technician at Firestone Complete Auto Care
97029787

The key won't turn in ignition it's a 1998 c280, The

Customer Question

The key won't turn in ignition it's a 1998 c280
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The steering wheel turns slightly but it is locked. How would I know if key was worn or damaged. I replaced batteries in key fob but no luck in turning
JA: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed battery in key fob and just keep trying 2 get key to turn. Idk if my battery is bad in car but all lights are working. But can't lock doors with fob
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of I'm a woman and know nothing about cars don't know where to begin
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Craig Manning replied 15 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** me just a minute to get some information together for you. In the meantime can you attempt to jumpstart the car to rule out low power on the cars battery for me?

It appears that the most common cause for this problem is the electronic ignition switch having failed causing it not to read the key anymore. It would be advisable to visit your local dealership since replacement of the parts require the computer of the car to be relearned with the new values.

Please remember to rate and accept my answer today before you leave the site (this is the only way we are compensated for our time and assistance). Any follow up questions you have will be free of charge for this issue.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is that costly based on the year of the car. Is it possible key is worn out

Last time I priced one out it was $1500 but that has been several years, the dealership would be able to determine if the key is worn too badly as well.

Unfortunately the only way to test the key/ ignition switch combination and isolate the problem is to be able to view live data on a factory scan tool.