Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

272 d will no start

Customer Question

272 d will no start
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There is a bulletin released from Mercedes on the start error message with the Drive authorization module failing needing replaced.This is bulletin T-B-80.57/32 as shown below.

Date: February 7, 2005

Order No.: T-B-80.57/32

Supersedes:

Group: 80

SUBJECT:
Model 163.154/157/172/174/175
Model Year 2000 to 2005

Engine Will Not Start and Fault Message "Start Error" Appears in Instrument Cluster

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the engine not starting and the message "Start Error" appearing in the instrument cluster, the drive authorization module may need to be replaced.

The drive authorization module (FBM) listed in the Parts Information section below now contains modified software to correct this condition.

Note:
This occurs when circuit 15 is truncated after the engine control unit sends a drive authorization system inquiry to the drive authorization module. If circuit 15 is switched off during this inquiry or is interrupted before the drive authorization module can respond, the same variable code is again used for the next circuit 15 cycle, as the drive authorization module has saved the previous inquiry. This results in the engine not starting for this key cycle.

To resolve, remove the old FBM control unit as per WIS instruction AR54.21-P-1300GH and replace FBM control unit with part number listed in the parts information section below.

Note:
Step 6 of AR54.21-P-1300GH checks whether the vehicle can be started with all keys. Ensure that all keys are available prior to beginning this procedure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wvuvl4sqfkkson/s-11-22.gif?dl=0

This module is located under the dash on the drivers side inserted into another control unit.Usually it can be seen once the new one is obtained, after removing the paneling above the brake and gas pedal to be removed and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete