MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I've got a steering wheel shimmy at 50-62 mph. The car is an

Customer Question

Hi--I've got a steering wheel shimmy at 50-62 mph. The car is an '02 CLK430. Got it in June, complete with shimmy. I've done all the normal stuff, including:
JA: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?
Customer: I've replaced all 4 tires, had them balanced 2x, then road-force balanced. I've had the front end checked, including wheels, rotors, bearings, ball joints, bushings, steering box bolts. I replaced the steering damper. And yet, any time I hit 50-65 mph, the steering wheel shakes. This has all been done over the past few weeks.
JA: Are you fixing your CLK430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you what was done. I've done some work myself (I used to be a mechanic, and have written Mercedes service manuals). The car has been to a few shops, and everyone is out of ideas.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car only has 63,000 miles on it.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

hi may I ask what kinda tire did you put on your vehicle were the shimming occure before or after tires replacin

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The old tires were Fierce Instinct; the new ones are Kumho Solus. The problem is exactly the same with the new tires.
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

so vehicle only shake at speed of 50 thru 62 mile per hour ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Vehicle doesn't shake; just steering wheel. Yes, only @ 50-62 mph.
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

did u have the drive axle check if it bend ot ujoint is bad

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Driveshaft and axle shafts all run true. Wheel bearings are fine, as are tie rod ends, shocks, bushings, steering box bolts nice and tight, wheels and rotors true, steering damper brand new.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also checked for debris between wheel and rotor, and torqued lugs to spec.
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

have to taking it to a shop where they run your vehicle on the rack and check the spinning pattern of the wheel

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That was already done.
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

shop you took to is it a regular shop you go to or dealership