MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Intermittent misfires on #1,2,3, and 4 cylinder. 175,000,

Customer Question

intermittent misfires on #1,2,3, and 4 cylinder.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 175,000, m113 engine, steady after it starts...but shutting off the car and restarting fixes it...
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2003 e500
JA: Are you fixing your E500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, myself, i have only read the ODCB codes, it only shows the 4 cylinder misfires and a random misfire code...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i guess not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if this occurs every time you start the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It did not start to miss immediately after starting. It seems to happen after the engine ran for a while and was under a good load, like entering the highway. It was interesting that when I stopped the engine and restarted the miss went away until another strong load was placed on the engine.More info...last night I took off the engine cover and found fabric/carpet like debris on the top of the engine (see photos), on the side where the miss occurred. There was also a portion of the debris right on top of the coil pack connector for the #3 cylinder, and the most recent codes were for a miss in #2, 3, and 4. I removed the debris and drove the vehicle this morning to work, on the highway, and I did not experience any miss fires. I will be doing a better exam of the wiring in this area to make sure the critter did not chew any of the wiring. Thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It still has the miss under extreme load, but not if I drive "calmly".
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

I a sorry for the delay in getting back with you. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would still like to know what you think...after all...i did pay the money. The problem has persisted, but only occurs under heavy load (probably more throttle than most people would use). I reset the codes and drove for a couple of days without any trouble. I then decided to accelerate very aggressively to see what happened, and it misfired again (check engine light came on and blinked for about 20-30 seconds). The misfire continued until I turned the car off and restarted. Then it ran without the misfire. I looked for any wiring damage from possible critters, but there was none.Thoughts?