Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I put the key fob in my 1998 c280 and i get nothing key wont

Customer Question

i put the key fob in my 1998 c280 and i get nothing key wont turn horn wont honk i have checked fuses all ok battery in trunk new full charged . will fob battery do this also sterring wheel wont turn nor does grear shifter
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is cold out dont know if that matters car is covered in snow . went to start car after snow storm to warm it up and i put fob in and it does nothing it used to make a noise that sounded like buzzig and a solinoid click now nothing tried turnig wheel from left to right to see if binding . i have open and shut the drivers door about 20 times to see if that would do some thing tried a hair drier for a little warmup were the fob goes all fuses ok battery is new and charged . car is in great shape but the book value is around 1800 to 2000 dollars a eis would be a total ? i need help and i do have a very good knowledge on automotive repair this is my first benz i do not have a shop manual only owners manual. im 150 to 200 miles from a benz dealer .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh sorry for being so rude . thank you for your help this would be great to get this car up and going again . and again thanks for any help you can give to me . pat meyer also have a great thanks giving .
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi Pat, my name is***** first thing we always want to try is a second key. If you don't have a known good spare key you will probably need to order one from the Mercedes dealer before going any further. One thing you can try is putting a small heater inside the car to heat up the entire interior. If the steering lock or EIS is malfunctioning the heater may help get it working. The battery in the key does not affect the starting it is only used for the remote locking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty