Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Pete, I have a 2012 Merc Sprinter 2500 I purchased last

Customer Question

Pete, I have a 2012 Merc Sprinter 2500 I purchased last week. The add DEF light was on, and I added 1 gallon. Added a second gallon and it was topped off. The light did not go off. We let the vehicle run for 45 minutes, and still no luck I drove about 30 miles and checked and was able to add about 1 pint of fluid. Continued to drive about 400 more miles. I removed the tank as a friend suggested and checked the internal floater to see if it was stuck. We removed about 2.5 gallons of DEF. I feel tank should hold more DEF but level does not go down. Any suggestions. Don't want to buy a new tank or components if not necessary.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 17 days ago.

Hi my name is***** many miles to the gallon are you getting? It does not sound unreasonable what you are describing. Is it reading empty when it's not? I want to be sure I understand what you are asking. Let me know

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
getting about 15 miles to the gallon. There is no sensor / gauge showing empty. Just the warning light and the countdown each time I started the van.

Is this reading empty when its not?

Or are you just not happy about the tanks capacity?

It is normal to get a low DEF warning light when the system is low. Let me know

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
As I replied. No gauge. Just sensor light and countdown each time I start. I filled as much as I could, However the tank should hold 4.5 gallons. Correct?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What is the reason to only have 2.5 gallons and the tank has no more room. Is there a breather valve to release. I figured the DEF low signal would reset. ????

This is right from the manual. click the link below ans see manual pages 143 on and then 178. Let me know if this helps answer your questions.

If the DEF reserve has fallen below the reserve range, add at least 2.0 US gal(7.6 l) of DEF at the latest after receiving the second warning message

Manual

It explains how the level indicator reads and resets after a fill or top off.