Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I just put new fuel pump filter, Etc. send distributor to be

Customer Question

I just put new fuel pump filter, Etc. send distributor to be professional restored. but my car wont strat is a mercedes benz 1976 450 sel could that be because the fuel distributor valve is way to close and can I loosen up the L crew to see if that adjustment will work, Im Talking about the fuel pressure valve adjustment.
JA: Have you changed the oil on a regular basis? And what about the timing belt? Has it ever been replaced?
Customer: just but the car it was seeting for many years but we change all the hoses, battery, fuel injectors, spark plugs cables clean up the gas tank, lines, fuel pump filters etc.
JA: What is the model of your '76 Mercedes?
Customer: 450 SEL
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, change all that and send the fuel distributor to be repair from a professional company my question is if when they put it together they may close the valve or oppened all the way and may need adjustment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car will start for like two secons and then stops and smell like to rich in gasoline
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 20 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** should not attempt to adjust the fuel pressure regulator unless you perform a fuel pressure test with a CIS fuel pressure gauge. If the car starts and smells rich I would try adjusting the mixture screw. Turning the screw slightly counterclockwise will lean out the mixture. You really should get a fuel pressure gauge connected so you can check the main system pressure and the control pressure through the warm up regulator. If the warm up regulator is bad and your control pressure is 5 bar it won't stay running. I sometimes remove the fuel pump relay and install a jumper lead to pulse the relay on and off while I am trying to get the mixture adjusted. It may be easier to get it running at 2500 rpm and then slowly bring the motor down to idle while tweaking the mixture rich or lean as needed. If you pull up on the air flow sensor plate and it runs better it means that the mixture is too rich. If it runs better when you press down on the plate it means the mixture is too lean.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty