Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

On my 2003 SL500 the key won't turn in the ignition and wont

Customer Question

On my 2003 SL500 the key won't turn in the ignition and wont open the doors once I get it started there are several lights that go on on the dash the ABS SRS check engine light brake light then the steering wheel goes up and down he goes back and forth headlights go off and on and there's times when the speedtronic light goes on visit Workshop the ABC visit Workshop the brake light the engine fan will go on the flashers Will Go On by themselves and won't turn off draining the battery in the class turtle say remove key but there's no key in the ignition then there's times where it will start but it won't go into gear and there's times when I'll turn the key and it's a delayed reaction before the car starts
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It blinks
JA: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had both batteries changed at the dealership they diagnosed it as he is but there's so many other lights coming on I'm not sure if that's the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thanks
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 12 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So I can't tell you exactly what it is without running a few tests first. I will post some test but unfortunately it requires a scan tool. It sounds like it's likely your ignition switch if the batteries didn't fix it.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
1. Verify battery is fully charged. Connect scan tool and test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).2. Lock and unlock vehicle with remote keyless entry fob, then insert key in ignition. It should turn. If not, disconnect battery for a few hours, reconnect and try key operation again.3. Check all fuses. If vehicle is fitted with a steering lock, fuse for steering lock module may be faulty. Fuses may be located in several different locations. See wiring diagrams for information.4. View data stream in Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) control module for key recognition using scan tool. Key should be identified by key number and track number. If scanner shows ??? or XXX, try a different key for the vehicle, see if it is recognized, the key may be defective. If key is recognized, check for faulty steering lock module. Another term found in the Electronic Ignition Switch actual values is key authentication.5. If no keys are recognized and a known good key is being used, the electronic ignition switch control module may be defective.6. If no scan tool communication, first verify that you are using a compatible scan tool. Test for battery voltage and ground at connector on Electronic Ignition Switch. If voltages and ground are good, electronic ignition switch may be defective.Tip: Some software in scan tools and Electronic Ignition Switches will not allow communication without turning key to the "on" position. In a pinch, with EIS removed from dash panel, the key may be turned to "ON" by tapping side of switch into the palm of your hand while turning key at the same time. A compatible scan tool is needed to perform correct coding of EIS control unit. Take note that dealers may not sell parts for this system. A fully functional star diagnosis machine is required to code ignition switch (or equivalent).
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 7 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny