Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

We tow a smart car behind a 24 foot rv. We have lessened the

Customer Question

we tow a smart car behind a 24 foot rv. We have lessened the steering wheel movement by using a bungi cord from steering wheel to brake pedal. Over the past several years we have had two front wheel blowout and just the other day notice dangerously worn tread on one of the front tires (it was new in March). What do we need to do differently?
JA: Have you bought the tires yet?
Customer: The tire that was worn is being replaced as we speak.
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: A 2011 Smart for Two
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Have always taken it to tire places. Except for the last blow out. There was damage to the vehicle that needed to be fixed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like a vehicle alignment issue here causing this fault.I have seen issues with worn tie rods or worn bushings in control arms cause this fault here needing replaced and a full vehicle alignment done.This should correct having to use a bungi cord as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete