Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Where is the battery located? No, but where is the battery?

Customer Question

Where is the battery located?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No, but where is the battery? Hood, trunk or under back seat?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2009 c300
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car all of a sudden will not turn over. It was working fine when pulled into restaurant. When tried to leave, will not turn over or make a sound. Battery is good. Instrument lights do come on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Steering wheel locked & can't shift to neutral.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  david craig replied 21 days ago.

Hi Im David, its Passenger side, just fwd of the firewall under the plastic cover (engine bay)

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Not fixing it my self. Trying to get towed, but steering wheel locked & can't shift to neutral. Thinking about disconnecting battery to see if it will reset steering. Thinking it will be ignition or steering malfunction, or problem with key. Any suggested tricks I should try.

cant talk now im on my way out the door for a couple hours. maybe then?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Anyone else that can help now?

ill opt out and let another tech chime in.

Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common component that can fail on this model here and cause an issue like this is the electronic steering lock itself.This lock is located on the side of the steering column about 1/4 way down from the steering wheel.I have had to replace this lock for issues like this here.In some cases you can tap on this lock while inserting and removing the key to get it to make its buzz noise then it should start and run (assuming it is the lock for sure here).Below it is shown near 5s in the diagram.Usually the column cover needs removed to access it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ydnrc5azqbkhve/lo-11-13.gif?dl=0

Mercedes has released a bulletin on this lock at fault.Bulletin number LI80.57-P-051521.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete