Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2000 SLK 230. I had to jump start the

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 2000 SLK 230. I had to jump start the battery...eventually just replaced because of the the following:
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Car turns over fine. When it turns over, there is NO response from the gas pedal; the ASR/ BAS light is on and the car is idling as if it's misfired. Up and down rev of the engine in quite a rythmic pattern Yup! Electronics all seem good to go...
JA: What is the model of your '00 Mercedes?
Customer: slk 230
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: would like to. wouldn't have thought i'd need to! just became an issue after getting a jump.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about all of it
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Seems like there's some ideas on this Site which I can't access:
http://www.iatn.net/techhelp/49/12950/1999-mercedes-benz-slk230-kompressor-2-3l-poor-idle-quality-surge
Expert:  Marty replied 27 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like your electronic throttle actuator has lost it's adaption. Try turning the key all the way on but don't start the car. Leave the key on for 3 minutes then start the car and see if it will idle. If it does, then try turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right a few times to clear the ASR/BAS light.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi Marty, it's always been able to turn over (now that I have a new battery) but it idles very poorly. Smells very rich and pervades the whole garage. No pedal response. The right left to clear the Bas issue didn't work. I've trying to attach a video but it's a 5mb limit it seems. Let me know your next thought.
Thanks Marty!
Expert:  Marty replied 24 days ago.

Did you try leaving the key on for 3 minutes? The procedure resets the throttle actuator. Also check the fuses in the K40 relay located in the module box next to the battery.