Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2001 S500 AMG...cannot get the distronic to stay on...works

Customer Question

2001 S500 AMG...cannot get the distronic to stay on...works for about first 10-20 miles on trip, but then says "unavailable" and cannot use cruise control
JA: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?
Customer: have not...engine size---big :) I'm an idiot...I've checked owners manual and thought I did everything, but doesn't seem to work still...thought maybe it needed a new sensor on front...however, I did have Strut Masters replace the hydraulic body control system with a new system of stable struts, which means the ABC, etc no longer works...wonder if that's causing it?
JA: Are you fixing your S500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just reading the owner's manual...I have no talent for fixing cars...just try to keep the buttons in the right position
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

you are correct on the deleting the ABC ETC ,this will make the Distronic system to fail because it keep trying to see the ABC system and it can not and after so many tries the system will go offline since it is sensing a fault and using the cruise want be allowed in this condition

it want effect the car performance but bad thing the cruise will not work .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
is there any item that can be purchased to have cruise control?

There is not a specific kit to buy that i know of.

some people tried installing like 0 to 5 ohm resistor you buy from radio shack in the connectors left unplugged to complete the circuit and fool the system

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 27 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat