Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My Mercedes Benz GLstopped suddenly without warning. No

Customer Question

My Mercedes Benz GL(###) ###-####stopped suddenly without warning. No lights. No check engine. Just powered down suddenly. Taken to MB and told there was no oil in my car. I have been having it serviced as well as oil changes at Mercedes Benz. Would I receive any indication there was no oil in the vehicle? Would there be any warning that SHOULD take place? My last oil change 15000 miles. I was told this vehicle needed oil changes every 17000 miles. No smell. No known leak. I work from home so I would see if there was a leak. They are telling me my fault. Needs engine for 20K. I purchased in 2015. Any help appreciated? I looked as saw cars shutting down without any indication. BIG Safety issue.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: What code? I could read the information last night. Its not allowing me to read the responses today.
JA: It's a tool that mechanics use to help diagnose what's wrong with a car. Not to worry - the mechanic will know how to find that out. I'll pass this info along to the Mercedes mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I don't. I am not mechanically inclined. It is still at the dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Yes your model comes equipped with an oil level/quality sensor and if this sensor was seeing an issue as well as the engine oil pressure sensor then you would have seen a warning.If the dealer has been the only facility that has been working on this model with its servicing and repairs I would see if they can get warranty to cover the costs for repair or help with the costs in any way as they usually can help in at least some way when it has been serviced regularly by the dealer and documented.But you should have seen a warning of low oil level or low oil pressure with this issue with the loss of oil unless it was a complete sudden loss of oil due to a major leak.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete