Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I recently acquired a W211 2007 E350. No I am not doing

Customer Question

I recently acquired a W211 2007 E350.
JA: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not doing myself. Vehicle has only 107K miles. Car would not shift into gear from park (only revs engine in Reverse or Drive mode). Shift lever would move but TX would not engage. car had to be towed and is now at local independent and certified Mercedes service shop. Diagnostic code 0893 was received. With little investigation their recommendation was that the entire transmission needed replacement at a cost approaching $5000. Is there anything I should do before going this dramatic and expensive route. Are there other things that should be checked??
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It has original TX. Car ran perfect until this instantaneously occurred the other day with my wife driving
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes - HELP?? Hopefully there are other areas to check before spending so much money.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The description of this code is 0893 Hydraulic fault in transmission.If the transmission pan was not removed and checked for metal and debris this needs done.If full of metal and debris then the transmission has internal mechanical component failure and usually does require full replacement and can be very common for this code here.

The other issue is the valve body itself but this is only if there are not metal or debris components in the transmission pan itself.If there is no metal or debris in the pan I would ask them if they can test the valve body to see if it is the only component needing replaced but keep in mind this can start out as a valve body fault and if not taken care of right away can damage the internal transmission mechanical components.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Service shop opens up at 8AM and will go there and ask them. I am mechanical engineer but not MB savy and am very reluctant to work on cars myself.
If no metal parts etc... in pan, what/where is "valve body" and what is its function?
If only few metal parts etc.. is there anything else to check before automatically assuming the entire TX needs replacement by "rebuilt" one? He told me the cost would approach $5K. A new one $9K. Does this seem right? The car was able to be pushed (in neutral) onto the tow truck. It can't be moved under its own power from where it is.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please send reply via email, not text. ***@******.***
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there??
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately I am only able to reply here on this.

The valve body is located just above the transmission pan when the pan is removed.It is held in place with several bolts that are removed to drop out the valve body.The valve body works with allowing the transmission to shift and controls fluid pressure with electronic solenoids in the valve body that actuate to properly flow fluid through the valve body to the transmission components.If there is any metal fragments or disc like material in the pan this indicates a problem mechanically with worn or damaged components in the transmission with the transmission usually needing replaced.Some places may offer a rebuild but most of the time it is a replacement as sometimes not all components are available to rebuild it.

I show a cost new for this complete transmission of $7130.00 so a used or rebuilt one can run around $5k.You can also try and locate a good used one at http://www.car-part.com

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
basically If I understand you, if there are any metal fragments in the pan, the only solution is TX replacement??
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

The metal fragments come from internal mechanical components in the transmission itself like clutches or discs or even gears in some cases.The valve body usually does not throw out metal fragments as it is a fluid passage unit and not a mechanically moving component that can throw out metal fragments like this here.If there are metal fragments in the pan then usually a complete replacement is needed unless a facility in your area is willing to remove your transmission and take it apart for inspection and repair but in some cases repair can cost more then replacement all depending on what needs done and adding up labor time to repair it unfortunately.

Thanks Pete