Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

I had a lane keeping assist inoperative warning. The lights

Customer Question

I had a lane keeping assist inoperative warning. The lights on both mirrors stay on. The left seat belt extender stopped working and the brake hold is not working. It's a 2013 E550 Cabriolet. It sat for about a week. I drove it, stopped and restarted. Same thing.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Triangles on the rear view mirrors.
JA: Are you fixing your E550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried turning it off and back on. I drove it, parked it and started again and drove home. All problems still exist. The warning on the dash only came up once.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cost? Cost?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 2 months ago.

It definitely sounds like one of the blind spot warning senors in the bumper is starting to go bad. This connects to the vehicle network and causes other problems not related to the blind spot i.e. the brake hold function and possibly the seat belt extender. How many miles are on the vehicle? This should be covered under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have just under 18,000 miles on the car. I was told I have a 3-year warranty which expired in March.

Are you in the U.S.? All U.S. models have a 4 year unless in Canada/Mexico maybe.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am in Florida.
If this is true, why are they trying to sell me a warranty extension?

Probably trying to get you coverage before you go out of the bumper to bumper. Mercedes have always has 4 years from date of purchase.

You must have purchased your car in March of 2013 so you should be covered until March of 2017. I can confirm this with the dealer if you like. If you need any more assistance please let me know. Please don't forget to rate me, thank you!

Hi, I'm just checking to confirm your warranty was still valid and the problem was corrected?