Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I can't seem to get the fuel tank out of the position its in

Customer Question

I can't seem to get the fuel tank out of the position its in in the trunk it's like it's stuck on something but there is nothing I can see on the new tank from stopping it from coming out.
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: it's not like that, It's a fuel tank. it's supposed to come out easy, I'm very fruatrated
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1077 mercedes benz 450 sl
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 1977
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have drilled a hole in it and put a come along on it and tryed to pull it out but it won't come out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need some one that has this experiance to tell me what the heck im doing wrong
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** need to remove the main fuel line from the bottom of the tank. If you have not removed the main fuel line it will get stuck in the body and the tank won't come out.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Please don't forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Marty, I have already disconnected everything on the tank. I guess I didn't explain enough. It still won't come out. It doesn't make sence. It's a square tank in a square hole.it has to come out from the left side first so that the neck or (filer spout) will come out first to clear the body.it only has one fuel line on thebottom left by looking at the original tank.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Did you actually unscrew the main fuel line from the bottom of the tank? If you only disconnected the hose the tank will get hung up on the fuel line underneath the car.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fuel line receptacle is welded to the bottom of the tank, and is recessed so that the fuel line doesn't protrude out from the square of the tank.I cut the hose off at the end of the outlet as close to the end as was possible. It does not interfere with the removal.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

It's not welded. The fuel line screws into a fuel filter screen which also unscrews from the bottom of the tank. You need to recheck what you saw there. If even a short nub of the fuel line is sticking out of the bottom of the tank it will hang you up. This is a common problem on the SL tank removal.