Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

Two things, I replacing the head gasket and the guide pin

Customer Question

two things, I replacing the head gasket and the guide pin will not come out with 5lb slide hammer. any helpful hints to get it out, I broke is what I think is a vacuum tube from carb to I believe the steering column and cant find what it is or part number to replace it
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: yes 2001 slk230 kompressor
JA: Are you fixing your SLK230 Kompressor yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: m111
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2001 slk 230 Mercedes benz
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at the moment thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 4 months ago.

If you can't get the chain rail guide pin out with the slide hammer, you can use a puller/extractor like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Engine-Timing-Chain-Guide-Rail-Pin-Puller-Remover-Extractor-Tool-NEW-/281695829802?hash=item4196613f2a:g:Wn8AAOSwJSJXGDt6&item=281695829802&vxp=mtr This tool should remove stubborn guide rail pins.

As far as the vacuum line goes, if its just plastic line that is cracked, it is possible to just insert a rubber vacuum hose piece inbetween the broken plastic sections. If the rubber is cracked, just use bulk rubber hose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its the yellow insert that connects to the quick disconnect that goes into the carb. its that hard plastic piping which I believe it to be a vacuum tube

By carb, I think you mean the throttle motor. That large plastic line is the brake booster vacuum line which you won't be able to get in bulk. You will have to buy that line separate. Is this what you are talking about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Mercedes-SLK230-R170-2-3L-Kompressor-Power-Brake-Booster-Vacuum-Line-Tube-/262638311187?fits=Make%3AMercedes-Benz%7CModel%3ASLK230&hash=item3d26769713:g:b6QAAOSwYIxX5I3W&vxp=mtr

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for everything

You're welcome! Good luck!