Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

2009 SL 5550 AMG with a dead battery due to detailer

Customer Question

2009 SL 5550 AMG with a dead battery due to detailer accidentally turning on the lights when he detailed the interior. Can I use the starter battery under the hood with my Mercedes charger for my 2016 GT to recharge or a regular slow-charge setting on a normal charger without harming the electronics? The battery in the 2009 is only six months old and showed perfect charge parameters prior to the lights being on for 24 hours which will drain some power. Also, where is the best place to bury a detail man who ruins your battery? Please do not indicate he must be dropped off with Hoffa as the area is saturated.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes to the first. Yes to the second.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2009 Mercedes SL550 AMG
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not attempted anything as Mercedes are somewhat temperamental concerning electronics and jump starting. Have the Mercedes charger for a 2016 GT, but am uncertain if this will work without issue on the old AMGs which have a very different electronic set up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not to worry, I just got text indicating the Mercedes slow-charger for my other temperamental toys will work on the 2009. If it explodes, i will email back. Thanks for the help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Yes as your text indicated that charger will work fine without any explosions or anything. Then once it starts a few mile jog for the detailer with you driving behind him at 10 mph is a good test to make sure it will hold the charge ;)

Ill be standing by if you have any further questions.