Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

I have a clk320 1999. I didn;t move it for 2 months because

Customer Question

Hi I have a clk320 1999. I didn;t move it for 2 months because I lost my only key which is the master flat plastic wallet key. I found it a few days ago and tried to start the car but it didn't have enough battery to start. I recharged the battery and the car started and went for a 20 minutes spin. When I came back from the drive I inserted the key about 5 times and the car recognized the key every time. But after the 6th time or so the car stop recognizing the wallet key that never failed before, I have tried for the last 4 days and the key is not recognized not even the steering lock sound comes on. Can yuo help?
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: That is the only key I have.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: clk320 1999
JA: Are you fixing your CLK320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix myself. I tried new battery. moving the steering wheel and shifter wiggling it but the key is not recognized
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is a good start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't received an answer in almost 24 hours. Key replacements are time sensitive. Please help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 month ago.

There are three common failures that need a Mercees xentry diagnostic computer to accurately diagnose. You would also need two remote keys for confirming the function of the ignition switch or steering lock. The remote key is the most common failure and it is always good to have a spare anyways. There are some basic checks you can do to ensure it is not a simple voltage supply problem. I would check fuses 27 and 22 in the front driver's side fuse box. If those are good, I would remove the large connector out of the back of the ignition switch and check pins 2 and 3 (The large red wires) for battery voltage. I would use pin 3 (large brown wire) for the ground so you can check that while you're there. If all of those checks are good, I would go ahead and order the remote key and try that. If the key does not solve the problem, the ignition switch or steering lock will have to be replaced at a shop that can program them. Let me know if you need any more information, thanks!