Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Thanks!!!! MB Roadside has towed it to my local dealer

Customer Question

Hey.... thanks!!!! MB Roadside has towed it to my local dealer battery drained? I bought the car on friday.... 2001 MB CLK 320 convertible.... soft top... noticed the light was blinking... with the top up... while driving around
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: the switch that operates the soft top... was blinking...
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2001 MB Clk320 convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not 100% sure just yet.... since MB Roadside... was willing to tow it to dealership for free.... (I had a second dealership to a Pre-purchase diagnostic of entire vehicle... before I bought it... Sacramento, CA... I live in Stockton, CA 40 miles south of Sacramento.... (I'm researching what others who own this vehicle have tried... WITH PROBLEMS RELATED TO BLINKING LIGHT ON SWITCH)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes.... I have opened and closed the top... 5 times myself.... over 5 days... no problems... I'm assuming there is a code fault.... causing the batter to drain...??? I do not have a blade key... to enter my trunk.... dealer has ordered one... I do have the key.... just no blade attached.... (TRUNK IS LOCKED... NO ACCESS) I'm hoping having the blade key... will allow access to trunk.... (with top down no access to trunk.... with top up... no access to trunk... ) I'm assuming the code and blinking light on soft top switch... is locking out the trunk... does it assume the top is open... and keeping the trunk locked...
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** the soft top light is blinking while you are driving it means that the top is not fully closed. The most common problem is a fault with the micro switch at the front windshield. The dealer will need to scan the roof system for fault codes in order to pinpoint the problem. If the light does not blink when the roof is down it is more likely to be a fault with the micro switch at the pillar.

Let me know if you have any questions.