MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

2001 E320. Tranny fine until you drive for a while. then

Customer Question

2001 E320. Tranny fine until you drive for a while. then slips out of gear; tach soars Let it cool, then ok for a while. Dealer replaced conductor plate twice, still same problem. They are at a loss. I dont know if conductor plug replaced.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 185000. Had minimal leaks, but stopped when
JA: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Have only been to M-B dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sorry but I'm not sure we have an expert who covers what you are looking for. Maybe if you give me more details I will find you a connection to someone who can help you.
Customer: Tran goes into limp mode when it gets warm. Will not move in R or D. When cooled off, will be ok for a few miles, then repeat.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- usually that is a Valve body problem ,the line pressure decrease after it gets warm and itwil start slipping ( I sent you a picture location of it )

2- Has the trans ever been serviced at dealer & when was the last time ?

3- If you had internal clutch damage ,it ant drive cold or warm? the valve body can be replaced or rebuild if that turn out to be the problem as a separately

4- You can try change the fluid & filter and see if that solves it , the MB dealer should be able to hook up the Star Mercedes Diagnostic scanner and run test on the trans for you , I would recommend that , pay for proper diagnostic at dealer and have it rebuild at independent shop, might be cheaper than dealer , but that will be up to you .make sure they give you warranty

Please let me know if that works for you or you need additional help on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
After first replacement of condctor plate, it did fine for 2-3 mos, then problem happened again. they assumed defective part, and replaced again.Ran good for about 40 miles, then came out of gear at about 40 mph. Turned engine off for about 5 min, then limped another 5 miles. They diagnosed, and got slippage codes. Fluid was not changed. It is lifetime sealed, I think.

i don't know about lifetime . a 100k miles should be dropped especially for the year of the car ,2001

I would start with a fluid change at this time and test drive and see what fault codes come back .

If you get these fault codes you can post them back here and i can give more accurate info on them

but from what you describing that is my experience ,as valve body issue

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat