Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Alarm is going off each time I open the door or try to start

Customer Question

Hi alarm is going off each time I open the door or try to start the car. Is there a way to reset the alarm so that it will quit going off
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Yes the lock and unlock buttons did not appear to work so I unlocked the drivers side door with valet key. Now alarms go off each time I open the door or try to start.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: It is 1883 380 sl... so an older one
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: I am afraid the keyless entry system has dead or weak battery so won't work. Should I try relocating the door and then unlocking with the main key (not valet)
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just managed to lock doors, then unlock them manually with drivers key, alarm going off when I unlock the door with the key.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you think the alarm just quit if I try to drive it away?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** best thing to do is to disconnect the alarm module. The modules fail and cause the alarm to go off randomly. You can try locking and unlocking the car with the key and that might turn off the alarm but if that doesn't work I would just disconnect the alarm module. The module is located behind the glove box. You will need to remove the glove box liner in order to disconnect the alarm module.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

I may need to modify my original reply. I see you listed the car as an 83 380SL. This car did not come with a factory alarm. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system installed in the car?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

If you have an aftermarket alarm system I would just locate and disconnect the alarm siren.