Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

2010 R350 Bluetec Just jumped in and pulled out on the road.

Customer Question

2010 R350 Bluetec Just jumped in and pulled out on the road. Traffic was coming so I was stepping into it pretty good. all of the sudden all dash lights came on and the engine quit. pulled to shoulder and let it set with key removed. Tried restarting and all of the dash lights still remain on and the when engaging the key to the start position it makes a momentary sound and then does nothing. Its not really a starter engaging sound but is about the same length of time as if it was just no click like teeth engaging in starter. Is there some type of reset procedure or self test. Nothing has come up on the message center.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: If all the dash lights are on why would I check them
JA: What is the model of your '10 Mercedes?
Customer: R-350 Bluetec
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

There is no reset procedure it sounds to me like either the battery is really weak and won't hold a charge or the alternator failed and will not charge the battery when the engine is running. Have you tried to jump it a second time ? Keep in mind there are a bunch of different scenarios that can happen to kill an engine but we always need to start with the correct battery voltage. I don't think this will be a quick fix so if it's on the side of the road it's best to get it home or to a shop depending on if you are gonna do the work yourself. I'll give you whatever info you need so please ask. Lou.