Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

On my 2007 S550, the right side is lower than the left and I

Customer Question

On my 2007 S550, the right side is lower than the left and I think I hear a hissing sound when driving, as if air is escaping from somewhere.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It sounds like its coming from around the wheel area. I can place my hand in between the wheel well and the tire and feel the body of the car moving down and shortly there after the tire is almost touching the wheel well both front and back.
JA: Are you fixing your S550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the Malfunction light came on. I watched a YouTube video that showed a fused to be the answer. However, I don't think this will resolve my problem. I'm not sure.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

You have a leaking air strut. The question is which one. The front or the rear. The front are the most common but the best way to tell is to listen for the hissing noise and walk from the front of the car to the back and whichever end is louder is the affected strut. Usually we replace them in pairs they are kinda expensive depending on if you get Mercedes struts or the ones from arnott industries. They sell great replacement struts at a good price. Let me know whatever other info you need. I am here to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this something that has to be done in the dealership or can a certified mechanic perform this task?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I've seen photos of what I believe you are describing. The boot or cover over the strut is not in tact, broken or separated. Leaving the strut hissing due to the leakage of air?

The struts are quite easy to replace. No different then any other car strut or shock the only difference is an electrical connection and a air line.

Whether or not you see a physical failure the hissing sound is the dead giveaway along with the drop in vehicle level.

Rarely did we see a big blowout of the strut bellows if we did the level would drop and. It rise at all. Hope this information helps. Let me know if there is any more I can provide. Not al customers are the same so please ask if you need something I did not provide. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.